February 4, 2023

Filipino Guardian

Sentinels of Filipino Free Press

Alleged Lockerbie bomb maker due in US court

The Libyan accused of building the bomb that destroyed a Pan Am flight over Scotland in 1988, killing 270 people, has arrived in the United States and will appear in court on Monday, Justice Department officials said.

Abu Agila Mohammad Masud was indicted by the United States two years ago for the Lockerbie bombing, in which Americans were the majority of the victims.

Upon arrival in the United States, he was taken to a Department of Justice facility in Alexandria, Virginia, for initial processing, where his mugshot was taken.

At 1:00 p.m. (1800 GMT) Monday afternoon, he will appear for a first hearing in federal court in Washington.

On Sunday, Scottish prosecutors said he was in US hands but gave no details on how he was transferred from Libya.

Masud had previously been held in Libya for his alleged involvement in a 1986 attack on a Berlin nightclub.

(Files) A ​​file photo taken in Lockerbie, Scotland on December 22, 1998 shows the damaged Pan Am 103 aircraft cockpit which exploded killing 270 people. – A Libyan accused of building the bomb that destroyed a Pan Am flight over Scotland in 1988, killing 270 people, has been taken into US custody, the Justice Department confirmed on December 11, 2022. Abu Agila Mohammad Masud was indicted by the US for the two years for the Lockerbie bombing. He had previously been held in Libya for alleged involvement in an attack on a Berlin nightclub in 1986. (Photo by ROY LETKEY / AFP FILES / AFP)

So far, only one person has been convicted in the December 21, 1988 Pan Am Flight 103 bombing, which remains the deadliest terrorist attack on British soil.

The New York-bound plane blew up 38 minutes after taking off from London, with the main fuselage crashing to the ground in the town of Lockerbie and scattering debris over a vast area.

The bombing killed 259 people, including 190 Americans on board and 11 people on the ground.

Former Libyan intelligence officer Abdelbaset Ali Mohmet al-Megrahi spent seven years in a Scottish prison after his conviction in 2001.

He died in Libya in 2012 and has always maintained his innocence.