February 4, 2023

Filipino Guardian

Sentinels of Filipino Free Press

DOH sees ‘downtrend’ in fireworks-related injuries

The Department of Health (DOH) said Friday it sees a “downtrend” in fireworks-related injuries from 2016 to 2021.

“From 2016 to 2022, we have seen a continued downward trend in fireworks-related injuries from a high of 677 in 2016 to a low of 122 in 2021,” the DOH said in a statement.

The department then urged the public to continue practicing the Lunar New Year celebrations more safely by using alternative ways of making loud noises.

“This is a good indicator of practicing safer new years away from physical injury and emergencies,” the DOH said.

“The DOH calls on all stakeholders to help sustain this trend in the coming years and the upcoming New Year by using alternative methods of generating loud noises, e.g. B. through pots and pans, loudspeakers, horns and percussion among many others. ‘ it added.

The health department previously said all hospitals would be on high alert for people with injuries and emergencies that could arise during the New Year celebrations.

It said it will monitor hospitals to ensure they are ready to attend to fireworks-related injuries and emergencies as part of the “Iwas Paputok” campaign.

The department also called on local government units and the private sector to support the campaign to reduce the number of firework-related injuries and deaths. – AOL, GMA Integrated News